Tuesday 4 October 2016

The Gift That Keeps On Giving: The People

The people I have gotten to know along this journey will always be with me. In fact, they are me, they have made me. From the beginning in the Scouts, to my final C2 sessions, I have had the most amazing good fortune in being around people who gave me a magical mixture of friendship, challenge, support, knowledge and energy.  I have decided to minimise the risks of missing anyone out by talking about groups of people and not naming names, with two exceptions. I hope this approach doesn't offend anybody, but I have faith that the right people will know what they mean to me.
  • St. Andrew's Scouts - these guys put me into a boat for the first time and started me off. They showed me that not being mainstream was cool!
  • Viking Kayak Club - the club's members supported and nurtured me, despite probably being quite annoying!
  • My coaches - so many over the years. They shaped me and guided my growth. They trusted me and we collaborated to create some fantastic ideas and get some great work done. They are all close friends, helping me through tricky times on and off the water.
  • My paddle buddies - from my youth to the present day, I have paddled with zillions of awesome people. Time spent canoeing with them is what makes canoeing great!
  • My teammates - we travelled around, having fun and riding the ups and downs of our sport. 'Living the dream' with them was an thoroughly enriching experience.
  • The canoeing scene - filled with great people whose warmth and support helped me to just be me. A diverse family of lovely people.
  • My sponsors - over the years, many generous people helped me financially and materially. I am grateful for their kindness, it certainly helped me massively on my way.
  • The bosses in British Canoeing and UK Sport - the investment and faith shown in me over the years has allowed me the rare privilege of being paid to better myself.
  • My rivals - I have always endeavoured to behave decently towards my rivals, even though they often made me feel very uncomfortable and put me under a lot of pressure. They pushed me towards levels of performance and discoveries that I wouldn't have found on my own.
  • My heroes - I was lucky enough to meet so many, all the way through my career, each spurring me higher. Each also showed me that they were just human, so why couldn't I be like them?
  • My support staff through the years; performance lifestyle advisors, strength and conditioning coaches, performance analysts, nutritionists, press officers, team managers, logistics organisers, administrators and the many others who helped me to be my best - it was a true team effort, your dedication, friendship and energy contributed more than just 'marginal gains'.
  • My physios and medical support - a big feature of my career were my injuries. They put me back together more times than I remember and helped me through some of my toughest times. I'd be a wreck without them!!!
  • My psychologists - who walked with me on the toughest path towards self-understanding and self-acceptance (it's a journey not a destination). Their support helped me to find my wings and my place.
  • Tim Baillie - it is almost impossible to express the gratitude that I feel. A truer gentleman and friend it would be hard to find. A man I share so much with. A man who voyaged alongside me through an amazing portion of my life. We grew and we flew together. 
  • Mark Proctor - We forged a team and a friendship which taught me so much more than I expected. He showed his quiet toughness and bravery bumping along with me on that famous Road to Rio. We did something quite amazing together, and the value of these experiences will increase as time passes. He is continuing his journey on his own now, but I know he has all he needs.
  • My family - my parents, my sister and my wife. It is telling that I am only just beginning to understand what the impact of being close to this man on a mission might have been. I guess that they understand, and I hope they have felt rewarded, but I have no doubt that it was hard and that sometimes they might have felt like they were playing second fiddle. In this new future, things will be different for sure.
So to all those who have contributed to my journey so far, I thank you from the very bottom of my heart. You will always be a part of me, you will always be with me. Whatever I do in the future, I will be using what you gave me. What a truly incredible bunch of people you are!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment